8.27.2007

the beginning of no end

The other day I went to see the Iraq war documentary-- No End in Sight: Devastating, galling, embarrassing. It provoked teeth gritting, muttered curses and involuntary obscene hand gestures in me. The rest of the audience seemed suitably riled as well. I challenge anyone to see it and try telling me there aren't grounds for impeachment.

Addendum: I came across another fabulous German term too wildly appropriate not to insert here: Lügengebäude "a building of lies," an elaborate edifice of interrelated falsities. Bringing up the notion, of course, of the collapsing "house of cards"...

I was very impressed with the opening credits (well, I am a graphic designer). Simple, really: Black banding crawling and skittering over images that flicker and change fitfully, layered with garbled code or memo-like text assembling and degrading. Smaller fields of white lines intrude at the edges reminiscent of bar codes. Strong and very effective. More impressive than the effect conveyed above...




opening credits by Big Star.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...